Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Cho Cho San - Potts Point

I had heard of Cho Cho San for quite some time, but have never really been bothered to take myself to Potts Point to try it out. Luckily, one of my colleagues was more motivated to go here and booked us a table. The interior of Cho Cho San is quite hipster and trendy. A long shared table, some window/bar type tables and some small individual tables. Simplistic, naturalistic, hip.
The menu here is simple and not massively extensive. However, we still couldn't be bothered to choose so we opted for the 'Feed me Please' set menu - and added a raw beef tataki because I had read on other blogs that it was heaps tasty.

The first bite of the set menu was the edamame beans. Coated lightly with salt, seaweed and pepper, these were tasty but nothing super flash.
Next came the petuna ocean trout. This was really tasty. Fresh, sweet, with this yummy sweet vinegary soy ish sauce. Black pepper was also sparingly sprinkled on the delicious slices of fish.
I don't eat eggplant. I really don't like it in mushy stews and I just don't like it. Period. However, at Cho Cho San, the eggplant came out in a super super crunchy tempura form with just the right amount of miso flavour. The tempura was SOOO crisp... I actually ate a whole eggplant piece! (super record for me)
 The beef tataki was ordered as an extra plate. The raw beef was really nicely marbled and melt-in-your-mouth. The smoothness of the beef contrasted really well with a bed of crispy wild rice. The sweet ginger dressing was also pretty amazing with the thin beef slices.
The kingfish collars surprised me. There were big chunks of fish what were amazingly smooth, sweet and delectable. The squeeze of lime just finished off this seafood delicacy perfectly.
A big pile of soba noodles came next. The noodles were chilled but subtly flavoured (sesame, soy, mirin etc???). Tossed with sesame and piled full of edamame. It looks simple, and it was, but it was my kind of comfort food.
My least favourite dish was the celery dish. I think it may have been used as a palate cleanser? Not much taste... just celery - plain.
The last savoury dish that came out was the soy glazed wagyu beef. This exceeded my expectations. Perfectly cooked beef - rare ish. Super tender, quite melt-in-your mouth. Heavy sweet brown sauce. Lots of onion flavour. Sooooo delicious. Definitely will want this dish again some time!
Dessert-time was green tea soft serve. There was great green tea flavour without the crappy powdery stuff. One of the best green tea soft serves I have had. YUM.
 Good simple flavours here. Some pretty good dishes. Difficult parking situation... Maybe public transport here if you can... :)

Ratings: 
Food - 8.5/10
Service - 7/10
Ambiance - 7.5/10
Value for money - 7/10

Overall - 30/40

Cho Cho San
73 Macleay Street
Potts Point
NSW 2011
Tel: (02) 9331 6601








No comments: