Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Milse - Auckland

On my resent trip to Auckland, I had read up on this new hip dessert cafe - Milse, in the Britomart area. I had my heart set on trying their Salted Caramel & Hazelnut Gelato Stick but funnily enough, when I stepped into this relatively small, dessert-packed cafe, we ordered lots of salted caramel stuff... just not my initially wanted gelato.

Hubby got sold by the 'Verrines'... little pots of sugary goodness. The one he picked was the hazelnut, salted caramel, valrhona alpaco one. It was sugary and sweet. The salted caramel was gooey and nice and the little chocolate bits was a good accompaniment. Not a bad dessert but no salted caramel gelato.

I decided on their macarons. I got my favourite - salted caramel macaron. It was delicious! The tiramisu one was yummy too.
It was not until we got our last choice of sugary goodness that I wish I just stuck to my first decision of grabbing a gelato stick and walking. Hot chocolate here is $7. The 'salted caramelia hot chocolate' is $11. Neither of us thought this would be "WOW" but we decided to get it anyway... for some odd reason... and No, it was NOT wow. I thought it was a bit weird. Not quite sweet not quite caramelly and not quite salty. I didn't like it. Hubby didn't mind it though. He thought it was exactly what he envisioned salted caramel hot chocolate  would taste like.
We were sitting at the bar during the course of our sugary meal. We saw them make all these different desserts - gelato pops, wobbly custardy things, sundays, tarts etc. I would definitely come back next time I'm in Auckland for more desserts :)

Ratings:
Food - 7.5/10
Service - 6.5/10
Ambiance - 7.5/10
Value for money - 7/10
Overall - 29.5/40

Milse
27 Tyler Street
(the pavilions at Britomart)
Auckland City
Tel: (09) 368 9487

No comments: