Monday, April 7, 2014

Hardware Societe - Melbourne

We met up with one of hubby's colleagues for brunch in Melbourne scheduled for 9am on a Sunday morning. Sounds a bit torturous eh? But turns out - it was pretty lucky, cos any later, we'd be waiting in a super long line.
Coffee first - amazing Melbourne quality (as usual). The coffee in Melbourne just seems stronger and smoother than Sydney ones. Super delicious and much needed for such an early morning weekend breakfast.
skim capp
For the day, there were a couple of specials. One was a sweet dish... chocolate pancake? I don't remember... (my memory is failing me... must be old age). The other was a simply delicious sounding confit duck with poached eggs. I was soooooo close to getting the duck until I remembered... it's 9am. I don't think my stomach is made for oily duck at this time of the day. So instead, I had the bacon slab with corn croquettes, two poached eggs and toasted sourdough. ZOMG it came out like a mountain! The bacon slab drew the jealous eyes of my two male breakfast-eating counterparts. It was beautifully caramelised, crispy and a thick slab of meat! I actually loved this dish - particularly the croquettes with hollandaise sauce. But I think that this is the first time I wasn't able to finish my two eggs at a breakfast. So crazily filling (even with hubby picking at my dish).
bacon slab, poached eggs with croquettes
Hubby had the baked eggs with chorizo and manchego. He thought this was crazy delicious. It had really strong flavours - really tomatoey and with lots of spice.

baked eggs with chorizo
My hubby's colleague ended up ordering the duck. It turned out less impressive than the bacon slab, but it was still really well received. I think that the duck was fall off the bone, tender and tasty? Again, it came with perfectly cooked poached eggs.
confit duck with poached eggs
Colleague's newly-wedded wife went for the omelette. It was topped with a neat pile of prawns. Out of dishes on the table, it looked the most healthy. The fluffiness of the eggs looked quite cleanly appetising :)
prawn omelette
Lots more coffees were ordered around the table. By the time it was 9.30am, there was a ton of people lining up. Whilst the staff weren't crazily attentive, they were nice enough to not hurry us or kick us out.

Ratings:
Food - 8.5/10
Service - 7/10
Ambiance - 7/10
Value for money - 7/10
Overall - 29.5/40

Hardware Societe
120 Hardware Lane
Melbourne, VIC 3000
Tel: (03) 9078 5992

1 comment:

Helen (Grab Your Fork) said...

I remember being tempted by the duck too, but I went with the brioche French toast! Super decadent.