Saturday, August 27, 2011

Danks Street Depot (2) - Waterloo

Brunch at Danks Street at 10am.

10am!?!?!?!?! Who organises something on Sat morning at 10? Not only that, why are the streets packed and the cafe overly populated at such an early hour? Well... it was my high school friends. And I like my high school friends. As such, early early on Sat morning, I dragged my hubby out of bed and headed for Waterloo.

The perfect anecdote for an early morning wake is a huge bowl of coffee. A HUGE bowl of super yummy creamy tasty nicely balanced mocha the size of my face. YUM :)

Bowl of Mocha

One of my friends was a vegetarian. As such, he opted for the tomato and avocado on toast. It came out first and I was a little surprised by it's portion size. The plate was big enough. But there's just a slice of toasted bread with some chunky tomato and avocado bits and scarce amounts of feta.

tomato and avocado on toast

Another friend opted for the broccoli and scramble on toast. Again, big plate, not much food. Looking slightly yellow and overcooked broccoli came with not much scramble unfortunately.

broccoli and scrambled egg on toast

Sardines and tomato on toast was colourful enough. I think it tasted alright coz there were not much complaints from my friend (except for maybe the portion size).

Sardines and tomato on toast

I ordered the creamed truffle eggs with grilled tomato and mushroom with a slice of bread. The eggs were awesomely creamy and tasty but I still remember that back in the days when I first came to Danks Street my creamed eggs filled the ENTIRE plate. And I mean - the ENTIRE plate. Those were the awesome days that I miss muchly >.<

truffled creamed eggs

One of my other friends went for the smoked salmon omelet. It was actually relatively decently portioned, the smoked salmon looked fresh and tasty.

smoked salmon omelet

My hubby went for the chicken sandwich. I think this looked the best out of all the meals. Awesomely toasted chicken salad with corn and rocket. YUMness! :)

Toasted chicken sandwich

All up, the food here is still tasty. The portion size, however, it horribleness! Inflation!!! I miss the good ole days.

Ratings:
Food - 8/10
Service - 6.5/10
Ambiance - 7/10
Value for money - 6/10
Overall - 27.5/40

Danks Street Depot
1/1/2 Danks St
Waterloo
NSW 2017
Tel: (02) 9698 2201

3 comments:

Mel said...

What a pity the serving sizes are so small compared to previously. I've heard this place is always really busy too...

Vivian - vxdollface said...

I love this place for breakfast/brunch! hehe never had the bowl of mocha before but it looks soooo yummy ^^ yeah it would be nicer if the eggs were served more generously but I always leave feeling very full

bbsnoopy said...

I think that the bowl of coffee generally fills you up but I think if you were only eating food, you might need a second serving of something.