Monday, April 18, 2011

Thainatown - Sydney

One of the perks I'm missing out on by not working in the City is all the awesome restaurants and cafes I could be lunching at with friends. What I don't miss, however, is the congestion, the crowds and spending heaps of money each day on coffee and food :P

Whilst I am in the city for work-purposes, however, food in the city was on the agenda.

As we were based at the Masonic Center, my friends and I decided to hope across the road and lunch at Thainatown.

One of my friends ordered the Pad See Ew. This was a generous portion of flat rice noodles, egg, chicken (I think?) and dabs of greens. It looked a bit sauced up... and my friend complained about the saltiness of this dish. In fact, it was so salty that she didn't finish it in fear of a sodium imbalance after LOL

Pad See Ew

Another of our dining mates was a vegan. Whilst not many dishes on the menu are explicitly vegetarian, the waitresses are accommodating and quite considerate - even down to asking if she wanted to substitute fish sauce for vegetarian oyster sauce. Nice touch I think. She thoroughly enjoyed her pad thai, saying it was beautiful, and polished it all off! :)

Vegetarian Pad Thai

I was curious about their "black soup". This was their blended herbal soup with rice noodles, either beef or pork (I chose pork) meat and balls, and chinese broccoli. They had the option of a small portion for just $5.50 and as I was cautious about this "black soup", I decided that ordering small is probably the best idea. The soup was slightly oily - with a 3mm layer of oil on top. It was extremely flavoursome in the sense that there were grainy bits in the soup that stuck to the rice noodles - ie. no escaping from the soup. It was a mix of chilliness and saltiness. Interesting blend... but not my cup of tea.

Boat noodle soup - (small) $5.50

To finish off the meal, icecream was on my agenda. My friend opted for a scoop of taro, I wanted green tea ($3/scoop). Both icecreams were creamy, not over-powering in flavour and quite a satifsfying end to our lunch meal :)

green tea and taro icecream - $3/ scoop

So not a bad little Thai food joint. Price-wise is OK too. Service... it's your normal typical Asain service :)

Ratings:
Food - 7/10
Service - 6.5/10
Ambiance - 6.5/10
Value for money - 7/10
Overall - 27/40

Thainatown
91 Goulburn Street
Haymarket
NSW 2000
Tel: (02) 9211 0090

No comments: