Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Yee King - Haymarket

Yee King

Sore throat and barbeques definately don't go well together. As such, my throat and my stomach were craving something soothing and tasty. Hence, I tactfully coerced my partner into stopping in the city for a late night dine.

Looking around, Yee King seemed to offer food at a price I could afford. Indeed, there were simple asian dishes for roughly $10-15. Sifting through our options, the two things we ordered was a small chicken and corn soup ($3.80) and a pork and prawn dumpling ($9.80).

The chicken and corn soup came out sizzling tongue-burning hot. To my sore throat, it was soothing and delicious. Tasty with bits of floating egg, it was an awesome treat for a small dinner snack.

chicken and corn soup (small) - $3.80

The pork and prawn dumplings came out in a heap. These were slightly disappointing. The meat was clumped and almost dry - pretty much no juices at all. Mmm... prefer dumplings in Ashfield. But I guess it may be because their specialty is noodles, not dumplings.

Pork and prawn dumplings (10) - $9.80

The service here at this typical Chinese Restaurant was not abundant but was friendly. What I didn't like about the place was the fact they give you dual coloured chopsticks - one reddish brown and the other normal yellowish colour. They might think it's "cool" but I found it very annoying (and hence, swapped a chopstick with my partner to make it the same again). The soup is good though - well, I liked it anyway (my partner believes he makes better), but dumpling-wise, there's better.

Ratings:
Food - 7/10
Service - 7/10
Ambiance - 6/10
Value for money - 7/10
Overall - 27/40

Yee King
408 Sussex St
Haymarket
NSW 2000
tel: (02) 9211 1138

No comments: