Sunday, May 24, 2009

Hog's Breath Cafe - Castle Hill

I am soooo behind on our posts - and my partner, who promised to help me out has yet to do so (*hint hint*).

Anyway, for close-by relaxing dinner (and to use up our 25% voucher), my partner and I decided to dine at Hogs Breath at Castle Hill.

Hogs Breath Cafe

Being at there super early, there were no difficulties with getting a seat. Being unable to judge just how hungry we were, we decided to order a Finger food combo ($19.95) and two mains.

In our finger food combo, there were super delicious salt and pepper calamari. These were nice and soft and tasty and chewy (but not too chewy). It also had a selection of potato skins, one chilli con carne, one bacon and sweet chilli sauce, and one tomato and basil salso - all topped with yummy cheese. Honestly, I was rather disappointed with the potato skins. The skin was not crunchy and it just wasn't overly tasty. Mmm... maybe my expectations are too high? There were also vegetarian spring rolls and chicken tender. The spring rolls were fresh and crispy and messy to eat (only for me). The crumbed chicken tenders were super super awesome~ especially when dunked in the honey mustard sauce. It was very crunchy and very soft and tender all at once! Mmm...

Finger Food Combo - $19.95

My partner ordered the ribs ($31.95) served with curly fries, salad and mexican rice. Ummm... I don't think I've seen such a small rack of ribs... it's quite dissappointing. Taste-wise, it was also very average...but it was very very nice and tender. If I ordered this, I would probably still be craving for ribs after finishing it.

Ribs - $31.95

I tried out the blackboard special of garlic and herb steak with mushy peas, fries and salad ($21.50). It was... interesting. The mushy pea mix was pilled on the steak. My medium steak came out a little medium well. And although the taste of the peas was not bad, eating the steak with the mushy peas together left my mouth feeling a little awkward. The two textures did not mix, it felt so so so separated. Not a good combination in my opinion.

Garlic and herb mushy pea steak - $21.50

All up, it was not a bad dining experience. The food came out promptly and the staff were friendly and attentive but not overbearing. But if looking for good ribs, probably best to go elsewhere.

Ratings:
Food - 6.5/10
Service - 7/10
Ambiance - 7/10
Value for money - 6.5/10

Overall – 27/40

Hogs Breath Cafe
Shop U22 Castle Towers Shopping Centre,
Old Northern Road
Castle Hill NSW 2154
tel: (02) 9659 8700

No comments: