Tuesday, January 27, 2009

International Cakes - Melbourne

International Cakes

After a nice relaxing dinner at home, the only way I could prevent my partner from sleeping was to drag him out for a walk (ie. to hunt for dessert).

After walking past the first cake and coffee hang out and not feeling hungry, by the next decent one (which was many many minutes away) the summer chilliness of Melbourne hit me, and we just had to go in and eat. Well, after checking out the window displays ofcourse!

A huge range of cakes and sweets!

I opted for a chocolate pistachio baklava (which I swear, wasn't this huge in the window!!!). This was a GIANT baklava, around 25 cm in length, covered in chocolate. Baklavas, being usually sickening yet yummily sweet in by itself, smothered in chocolate... woah - ultimate sugar hit. You can't blame me for not being able to finish this (I got half way then gave up)!

Giant Pistachio Baklava

My partner went for the tiramisu. Compared to my baklava, this was a lot less sweet. But also compared to the tiramisu's I make at home, this was a lot less coffee-tasting and a lot more sponge-cake like. This, however, is much to my partner's liking, and he happily gobbled it all down :)
Tiramisu

All up, the two sweets cost around $14. The place felt nice and homey. And although it did not have the best looking cakes and sweets in Melbourne, they give off a traditional cake store vibe.

Ratings:
Food - 6.5/10
Service - 6/10
Ambiance - 7/10
Value for money - 6/10
Overall - 25.5/40

International Cakes
185 Lonsdale St
Melbourne, 3000
Tel: (03) 9663 2092

No comments: