Monday, December 22, 2008

Guylian Cafe - Circular Quay

Long awaited...
I long for and await for many things in life.
Some things, when they finally happen, I'm thrilled and overjoyed.
Others, might lead to bitter disappointment.

Guylian Cafe was a long awaited occasion for me. Enjoying a brisk walk to East Circular Quay (as we parked at the Rocks to stroll thru the markets), we arrived at the chocolate cafe.

Guylian Belgian Chocolate Cafe

There were many enticing cakes in the cabinets, but my partner and I chose to sit down and slowly take our pick.


Window shopping for cakes.

I couldn't decide between cake or icecream - so I got a bit of both.
We ordered the Guylian baked chocolate cake ($14), which the menu promised to be a moist, rich belgian chocolate cake with guylian signature ganache. Promised, but failed to deliver. The cake was very averagely a chocolate sponge cake with a very averagely chocolate ganache. Hmmm... very very average. For $14, I would expect a bit more, in terms of taste, chocolate hit, texture, or really... just anything!

Guylian Baked Chocolate Cake - $14

We also ordered the 60% dark chocolate icecream ($5.50). I see the icecream, I see the chocolate... but where is the dark 60% bit??? Nonetheless, I still enjoy icecream - dark or not. But compared to the dark chocolate icecream from Lindt Cafe ... somewhat incomparable.

Dark Chocolate Icecream - $5.50

Last to come was the Guylian Dark Chocolate Shake ($9). In previous posts where the service was lacking and inattentive, I've always made excuses for them (eg. they were super busy). In this case - yes they were busy, but the service definately needs to be turned up a notch. I don't appreciate waitresses serving three lots of customers whilst holding my previously ice-cold drink, then look as if she is about the head back into the store until finally, she realises why there is a drink in her hand in the first place. hmmmpphhhffff.
Anyway, service aside, this milkshake was chocolatey and sweet. Just like any other chocolate milkshake I've had. Again... where is the dark chocolate bit? Nonetheless, my partner thoroughly enjoyed this shake.

Guylian Dark Chocolate Shake - $9

In all, the location of the store provides an awesome quay-side experience - it was only when we were walking towards the car that we bumped into the Guylian Cafe situated at The Rocks... for which my partner (who hates walking) was not pleased about.

I found my chocolate experience at Guylian to be truely... average - nothing spectacular. But maybe next time, I should be more adventurous and step outside my dark chocolate longings.

Ratings:
Food - 5/10
Ambiance - 8/10
Service - 4/10
Value for money - 5/10
Overall - 22/40

Guylian Belgian Chocolate Cafe
East Circular Quay
Shop 10, Opera Quays
3 Macquarie Street
Sydney, 2000
Tel: (02) 8274 7900

No comments: